Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Visitors from Outer Space

I was weeding my garden, minding my own business.

When suddenly, I was confronted with extra-terrestrial life.

Well, that's what they look like to me.


What do you think?

I have never before seen anything quite like these little guys.  They aren't quite caterpillars, but kind of close.  The legs are too long.  But they're about the same size.  They're spotty in bands, and seemed to like my silverbeet plants.  Although I think we also saw them on my parents' zucchini this summer too.



I wonder what they are?


What an amazing world we live in! 


Amy

3 comments:

Aynsley said...

Check out this awesome insect ID page put together by Landcare Research (NZ science organisation)

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/resources/identification/animals/bug-id/what-is-this-bug/bugs-without-legs/caterpillars-most-do-have-legs

kiwimeskreations said...

Hmm - I have never seen those before - native to your corner of the world??
Love and blessings
M

Amy said...

Thank you Aynsley! These little cuties are in fact LADYBIRD LARVAE! Which makes sense, seeing as we had hundreds of yellow ladybirds on the zucchini this year.