Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Hidden Treasures

One of the things I love about having a 'new' garden is the revealing of hidden gems throughout the seasons.

My mother-in-law and I noticed these funny looking shoots coming up on the corner of the garden.  Hmm, they might be tulips?  Or maybe snowdrops?  Definitely  not just the standard agapanthus that are found in abundance along the rest of the front edging.

I waited.  And waited.  They seemed to take forever to do anything.  Then finally:



They are lacinalias!

Beautiful.

Unusual.

Quaint.

Old-fashioned lacinalias.



The memories that come surging back.  My grandmother had some right along both sides of their driveway when I was little.  Not these coral coloured ones, but bright orange ones with black and yellow stripes.

I'd so love to have some myself one day.  There's just something about them.  Something that reminds me of carefree days spend picking and eating plums and feijoas, mandarins and banana passionfruit, of hot summers and playing on the beach or down by the creek.  Plus I just love their amazing, crazy boldness of colour!

It's got me wondering.  How many of the things I love are because of how they look and how many are because of what they remind me of, the moving images they invoke?

Amy

2 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

I know what you mean - these took me back to my mother's garden - and the story about the desk that I mentioned :-)
Blessings and love
M

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous colour :-)!

I don't think I have ever seen these kinds of flowers before!