Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Test Your Language Skills and Feed the World!

I just came across this fun site (for those of us who like English vocab and seeing how much we know!).

It is called "FreeRice." You test yourself to see how many words you know the meaning to - for every right answer they donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Programme.
While 10 grains might not sound like much, it's the snowball effect of thousands of people playing that makes a difference. Yesterday over 68million grains of rice were donated through this site!!

http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Here's a BBC article talking about the site if you'd like more background information.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7088447.stm

Right, I'm heading off to test my skills for 10 minutes and see how much rice I can donate. Grin.

Updated around 10mins later:
510 grains of rice. This is fun!!! Amazing how many words I do actually know, and what other really weird words are out there!

1 comment:

kiwimeskreations said...

Haven't tested myself yet - I have been busy typing minutes - that tests my skills enough!! :-)
Blessings
M